What are the specialist fields of the hospital? What is the expertise? The most common indications for follow-up treatment in the orthopaedic department of the HELIOS AOK Clinic are:
Pronounced joint instability and deficiency in the movement of the joints immediately after previous conservative or operative treatment of bone or joint disorders, including bone and joint replacement surgery or joint prosthesis replacement (total endoprostheses of the hip, the knee and the shoulder joints)
Further indications are:
- Neurological failures and/or acute pain symptoms in conservative and/or operatively treated disk herniation
- Teaching the use of the interim prosthesis and care of the stump in patients after amputation of the lower limbs (thigh, lower leg, foot)
- Pronounced function impairment in existing mobilisation stability as a status after undergoing spine surgery (redressement procedures in Bechterews disease, scoliosis, and kyphose or osteosynthesis in spodylolisthesis, discitis or instability and vertebral fractures, also as a result of osteoporosis.
Even without a prior stay in hospital, when rehabilitation is necessary and possible and there is a positive rehabilitation diagnosis, the following diseases are rehabilitated in the AOK Clinic:
- Degenerative diseases of the spine
- Pain syndromes
- Joint arthroses
- Osteoporosis and osteopathy
The indication for cardiological rehabilitation is given if rehabilitation is necessary. This means that damage to the body structure (e.g. of the heart) or the body function (e.g. pump function of the heart) are present due to the cardiovascular diseases, and these restrict everyday activities, prevent full participation in social activities, and require rehabilitation services above and beyond curative treatment.
Indications - consequences of:
- Coronary heart disease without acute myocardial infarction
- Coronary bypass OP
- Heart valve operation/replacement using catheter technology
- Operative correction of congenital heart diseases
- Other cardiac surgery (e.g. aneurysmectomy, ICD implantation)
- PTCA/stent, similar surgery
- Inflammatory heart diseases
- Pulmonary embolism
- Arterial hypertension / hypertensive heart disease
The therapy includes all aspects: strengthening of the deficiency in muscle proportions, the elimination of dysbalances, and the improvement of active stabilisation. In the patient-oriented, collaborative therapy, activity-oriented elements play a major role.
Because the objectives are to learn an economic motion behaviour, the improvement of everyday skills as well as integration into the familiar areas of life are important. Older patients, in particular, appreciate the personal relationship with a therapist. This patient requirement is met by the daily contact during individual physiotherapy.
At the beginning of their stay in the Clinic, each patient agrees on an individually appropriate rehabilitation goal with the doctor, and the result is assessed in the final examination.
An essential component of the treatment is the physical therapy to improve the cardiopulmonary performance. Depending on their symptoms, this includes, inter alia, group gymnastics, individual therapies, monitor-controlled ergometer training, treadmill, Motomed, terrain training, fitness training, and spa treatments. In addition, training is carried out for diabetics in conjunction with educational cooking, training for hypertensive patients, as well as self-measurement of blood clotting.
In individual therapy, the following techniques are used:
- All the basic techniques of occupational therapy
- Neuro-orthopaedic concept according to Cyriax
- Manual therapy
- Controlled pushing movements according to Brunkow
- Respiratory therapy/breathing techniques
- Spine treatment according to Brügger
- Medical training therapy
- Motor sleeve
During group therapy, some of the techniques mentioned above are also used in small groups:
- Endoprotheses groups for patients with stress
- Joint training, joint mobilisation
- Walking school
- Thermal exercise pool
- Ergometer training
- Special bicycles for knee-TEP patients
- Orthopaedic back training
- Spinal training
- Medical training therapy
- Terrain training
In addition, the AOK Clinic Bad Ems offers the following treatments:
- Physical-balneological therapy
- Hydroelectric baths